Looking for things to do with your baby and young children in Leeds? You’re in the right place! As a Leeds mama myself, I’ve loved scoping out new adventures for us in my beloved home city.
Whether you’re a visitor to the great city of Leeds or live here yourself, I do hope you enjoy this list of things to do with your little ones.
Top 13 things to do with a baby or young children in Leeds,
1. Get out for a beautiful walk. You might say I’m biased, but Leeds and its surrounding areas in West Yorkshire have some of the most stunning walks you can do with a pram, so this will always be my first recommendation to visitors. Try the glorious Roundhay Park with its two lakes, playgrounds and stretching views towards the city. Next, scope out Temple Newsam, Harewood House, Golden Acre Park and Rodley Nature reserve, where you can also take a stroll beside the city’s canal.
2. Yorkshire Sculpture park is a must see – an international centre for modern and contemporary art, complete with parks to walk around and family friendly events – check their website here for dates.
3. Explore nature at Tropical World – home to the largest collection of tropical plants as well as exciting and exotic animals like meerkats, monkeys, crocodiles and butterflies. This place has a family friendly café and is also based opposite a family friendly pub called the Roundhay Fox – perfect for an afternoon bite or a drink snuggled up by the roaring fire.
4. Take in the sights and smells Harlow Carr gardens in Harrogate – Harlow Carr is a stunning and tranquil 58 acre haven where you can take a stroll through innovative gardens and activity zones for children. There is a Betty’s tea shop on site for afternoon tea too. It can be reached within around 40 minutes from the centre of Leeds and would be great to tie in with a walk around Harrogate’s historic centre if you have time.
5. Wander around the herb gardens by Oakwood’s towering clock and attend the 25 minute ”Storytime” for children at its library on Mondays at 2pm.
6. Head for the big screen at Everyman Cinema’s baby club or Hyde Park Cinema’s bring your own baby. Baby friendly cinema screenings are a chance for parents and carers of babies up to 12 months old to get to the cinema together. They raise lighting levels and reduce the volume, as well as provide baby changing and bottle warming facilities to make the experience as comfortable as possible.
7. Head to the fun-filled Cannon Hall farm for hours of entertainment, set in beautiful Yorkshire country side. There’s plenty to see and do – meerkats, pretty birds, farm animals of all kinds – there’s even a farm shop and a soft play centre with a café on site – all within a 40 minute drive from the city.
8. Bounce around at Busy Bee’s soft play in Seacroft – the cleanest and best run soft play I’ve found and great value!
9. Create a masterpiece at Jack Rabbit’s pottery – from ceramic mugs with handprints to paint your own ornaments, its easy to get carried away at this cute venue – be sure to book ahead to secure a space.
10. Get cultural at the World Heritage site of Saltaire – less than a 40 minute drive or a 20 minute train ride from the centre. Saltaire is a charming Victorian industrial model village. There are places to eat, some shops, a lovely park and adventure playground for the children. Its main attraction is the impressive Salts Mill – packed full of art exhibitions, unique shops and a family friendly restaurant.
11. Be amazed (and maybe even grab a scrumptious cocktail at my favourite bar The Alchemist) in the city centre- Discover something new and old at the Leeds city museum, City markets, Victoria gate or Trinity Centre. Like any city centre, parking and traffic can be a bit of a nightmare – if you can, take a bus or train to the centre.
12. Let your hair down at one of BOOMCHIKKABOOM’s events – from messy play to baby raves, these guys have got a fresh, unique approach to having fun with children, toddlers and babies nailed. Check out their website for dates and venues and our post with a review of one of their events here.
13. Jump for joy at the Oxygen Trampoline park in Kirkstall – ideal for little ones who’ve found their feet – definitely the most fun you can have in your lycra!
Have you got ideas of things to do in Leeds?
if you've got some suggestions of great things to do with little ones in Leeds let us know!Get in touch!